Top 10 Reasons to do Yoga
Yoga is the Sanskrit word for “union” and this physical, mental, and spiritual practice helps you to block out all distractions and build a strong mind-muscle connection. There are many different styles of yoga that will suit everyone’s specific needs. Though people believe that the only thing yoga does is stretch your body, the benefits are way too many to list. Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years because it works! Try adding yoga to your daily life and you will see all of the benefits for yourself. Here are 10 reasons why I believe everyone should try yoga:
- Reduce Stress: Yoga poses increase relaxation and causes cortisol (stress hormone) levels to drop. This helps activate your parasympathetic nervous system, which stimulates the “rest & digest” part of your brain. Activation of the PNS leaves people with reduced anxiety, fear, and depression. The feeling of being relaxed allows you to put all your energy towards being happier.
- Flexibility: Yoga stretches your muscles, joints, tendons, and ligaments in a completely different way. This will give your body a new range of motion and result in better posture.
- Build Strength: When your muscles are stretched properly, they can work more efficiently. Many of the yoga poses focus on big and small muscle groups in the body and help you to develop a well balanced & strong core.
- Increase Focus: Yoga makes you block out all distractions and stay completely focused on your body and performing the difficult poses.
- Better Breathing: In yoga, you breathe taking slow, deep breaths that will actually help increase your respiratory function.
- Prevent Injury- A nice strong flexible body can take on a lot more stress than a weaker one. This allows the body to be less vulnerable to injuries.
- Detoxification: The act of stretching and twisting helps to move toxins out of the muscles and organs. Yoga also will help to circulate more blood to the body. This will make you feel healthier and cleaner.
- Pain Management- Yoga helps to the brain to release natural painkillers throughout the body. It also helps to release lactic acid from the muscles. Another way that yoga is good for pain is that it helps to reduce the amount of pain for patients dealing with arthritis.
- Peace of Mind- As part of being human, we are faced to deal with all different types of stress each day. Some can deal with stress better than others. People who do yoga actually feel better because yoga provides a positive outlet to life allows you to have time for yourself to meditate and clear out anything that is brining you down. This will change your overall mood each day!
- Increase Coordination/Body Awareness- When you do yoga, you are really focusing on performing the poses as perfectly as possible. This helps you to become more coordinated and you learn how to make the changes to train both sides of the body equally. You can then apply that to other areas of your life.
Images via Google
AboutDegree in Biology and Exercise Science,Research Scientist, Natural Bodybuilder, Certified Personal Trainer, Chef, and Future Orthopaedic Surgeon. I can help you meet all your goals!
Powered by Facebook Comments